Saturday, August 1, 2009

My Dog, My Guru

A guru is a being who leads one from the darkness of ignorance to the light of knowledge. Less than a year ago, our family adopted a dog. She was rescued, and comes with many challenges, but we fell in love with her almost immediately and she is now part of our family. Three different sources recommended the Cesar Millan ("The Dog Whisperer") style of dog ownership, using energy to assert respect and loyalty. We read his book, watched his TV show and I even went to his online resource. After ten months of working with this dog, I have learned so much from her! It is a meditation for me to walk my dog, as I am always noticing my own energy projection, the weight in my feet, the tension in my hands and my breath. Anytime I find myself straying from my meditation, she senses it and will attempt to take the leadership role from me. This is a great feedback experience for me. I also noticed what I was willing to tolerate in her behavior, and began to ask for the same from my family, friends and students. Working with her has really improved my inner strength and focus. She has helped me to learn so much more about myself... bringing me from the darkness of ignorance to the light of knowledge.

What we are practicing now...
Pasasana (the noose pose) is a wonderfully warming pose that massages the abdominal organs, stretches the ankles, calves, knees, hips, shoulders and torso. In class, we have been working with the wall as a prop to work towards the pose. See Yoga Journal's instructions for getting into the pose.

Schedule updates... ah, the impermanence...
  • Saturday, August 15th 10:00-11:30am Yoga Soup at Willow Glen Yoga in San Jose. Join me for a wonderful blend in active (vinyasa) and passive (somatics) techniques to unstick the body!
  • Thursday night 7:45 class at Willow Glen Yoga is now an Intro-to-Yoga series; no drop-ins allowed. For yin, please come Tuesday nights only.
  • Wednesday nights, 6:00-7:00pm at GGBC in Campbell in a yin class, which is followed by a meditation class. Come join us for clarity in body and mind!
  • Last Tuesday 10:00am yin class at Courtside in Los Gatos will be August 25.

Coming up...
  • New class for Adobe employees: beginning Monday, September 14, 5:30-6:30pm! Check with Jessica in the fitness center to sign up.
  • Fundraiser yoga class with Debora Parente-Cohen coming in October... more details soon!
  • As of this writing, I still have 1 room available for the Wine, Dine and Yoga Retreat September 25-27. Please let me know asap if you are interested!