Saturday, January 2, 2010

Time, Bread Dough and Yoga

It is the beginning of a new decade, and I have been pondering Time. I've let go of the concept that time is linear; it must have been all the time-traveling books or movies I've experienced, or perhaps it's that I have lived long enough to recognize the connections and wonder about the near misses. I now see time as malleable, like bread dough. Every now and then, it gets folded in on itself and I'll witness the fruition of some long-lost decision, or fit some disparate concepts together, or happen to be in the correct location to "bump" into an old friend. My yoga practice isn't linear, either. This past year, I became a beginner again. I began to study again with my first yoga teacher, Denise Wendler, and experienced the newness of muscles, bones and philosophy through my current teacher, Tias Little. It made me curious again, just like I was over 10 years ago! It's made me want to go back and relearn everything again, but this time with less ego... and maybe that's the purpose of these folds in Time. What folds have you experienced, and what are they telling you?

What we are practicing now...
Virabhadrasana II (warrior II pose) is a wonderful pose to bring you fully into the present moment. I direct you to Yoga Journal to describe how to practice this pose, but consider this when you have arrived: your back arm is reaching into the past and your front arm is reaching into the future, but you and your breath are resting patiently in the present.

Schedule updates and events... see www.yogabylorien.com for complete schedule:
  • New class on Mondays! Restorative Yoga 7:00-8:30pm at Soula Power Yoga in downtown San Jose; relax and rejuvenate as you rest your body on props and release the effects of stress. Join us on Mondays in January (if the class is well attended, it may be added to the regular schedule).
  • Intro to Yoga 6-week series: An in-depth look at yoga breathing, postures and sequences. The next series begins January 14th and meets for 6 weeks on Thursdays at 7:45pm at Willow Glen Yoga. You must register for the entire series and attendance the first night is mandatory. Class fills up quickly!
  • Beginners 1-Day Workshop on January 30th: For those who are interested in a refresher or cannot commit to a 6 week series, this workshop will cover the basics in a condensed setting. Saturday, January 30th 1:00-4:00pm at Willow Glen Yoga. Class fills up quickly!