Monday, April 15, 2013

Healing Yoga for Wellness DVD Project: Not the Virus I Was Looking For...

"I need a virus," I said, glibly. I was speaking about my Kickstarter campaign to raise $18,700 by May 2, referring to the concept of going viral, a method for spreading the word about my project to more and more people. I need lots of people to donate small amounts in order to reach my goal.

Well, I got my virus, but it wasn't the one I wanted.


Instead, I came down with a cold. You really need to be careful what you ask for.

I rarely get sick, but when I do, it's usually fast and furious. This was no exception. People were raving about the nice warm weather, but I was shivering. It hurt to blink my eyes and I kept leaning towards my left, if I tried to stand up. There were a few of my yoga classes that I couldn't find a sub for, so I taught them, keeping my distance from the students, and my hands and energy to myself (the opposite of my normal intention). I told my kids they would have to find their own rides, that the Mom Taxi was out of service. I huddled under a blanket and a 50-lb. dog and did nothing.

It took 2 days and countless holistic treatments, including acupuncture, to feel human again. I'm amazed at how quickly a virus comes and goes. In the middle, it's easy to think that it will be this way forever, and you learn that breathing is not to be taken for granted and skin really is the largest, most sensitive organ.

I kept imagining that I was watching a great football game, with my immune system as one team and the virus as the other. I felt when yards were taken and given, and I tried my best to cheer on my home team, supporting them with all that I knew how to do.

And then it left. Our bodies are incredible at finding equilibrium.

Now that I feel better, I'm attacking this Kickstarter project with the same enthusiasm. And I'm rephrasing my request:

"I need word about my project to spread like a virus."


You gotta be specific when asking the universe for help!

Here is the link to the Kickstarter project; please help me spread word about it:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yogabylorien/healing-yoga-for-wellness-video