Monday, July 22, 2013

The Tao of Scheduling

The cyprus tree surrenders to the flow of
the coastal wind, growing with the Tao
The Tao (pronounced "dow") is a Chinese philosophy that encourages us to live in harmony with nature, each other and with our situation. If we resist what is happening, who we are and ignore the life surrounding us, then we may feel like we are trying to wade upstream against a strong current. "Going with the flow" is another way to describe this. Change happens. Digging in our heels and saying no doesn't stop the river from flowing.

With that thought in mind, I want to tell you about changes that are coming to my schedule. Some of them are more temporary than others (really, it's all temporary, if you take a big enough perspective, right?). I advise you to breathe deeply, go with the flow and stay open to "the way", the Tao. If the following list is at all confusing, send me an email at yogabylorien@gmail.com, and I'll explain it all. My schedule page will reflect these changes as soon as September rolls around.

Mondays in July and August

Between now and the middle of August, I will be subbing the Restorative Yoga class for the Stanford Cancer Supportive Care Program. This class meets 1:15-2:30pm at Avalon Art and Yoga in Palo Alto, and it is offered free of charge thanks to generous donations to the program.

Wednesdays in September

I will be moving my class for the Stanford Cancer Supportive Care Program to its new location starting in September. My Gentle Yoga for Cancer Recovery moves to Samyama Yoga Center, located at 2995 Middlefield Road, will meet each Wednesday 1:30-2:45pm, and is offered free of charge thanks to generous donations to the program. This class is designed for students who are ready for gentle movement, stretching and short strengthening sequences. It is open to people with cancer and their caregivers.

I will be offering a new class, specifically for cancer survivors. The Yoga for Cancer Survivors class meets on Wednesdays 6:00-7:00pm at the Cancer CAREpoint Resource Center, located at 2505 Samaritan Dr., Suite 402 (near Good Samaritan hospital). This class is designed for students who are through the intense phase of their treatments and wish to practice balance and strengthening poses. Check with www.cancercarepoint.org for more information.

I will no longer be teaching the evening Yin Yoga class at Breathe Los Gatos on Wednesdays, starting September 4. As much as I have loved building this class and sharing it with everyone, it is too late in the day for me to be teaching, and I find I am no longer a night owl.

Thursdays in September

I will be offering a new class for the Stanford Cancer Supportive Care Program at its new location, starting in September. The Yoga Basics for Cancer Survivors will meet each Thursday at 1:30-2:45pm at Samyama Yoga Center, located at 2995 Middlefield Road, and is offered free of charge thanks to generous donations to the program. This class is designed to move those post-treatment back on their wellness path, preparing them to step into any yoga class with confidence.

Announcements


  • In addition to the above shake-up of my schedule, I'll be leading a 1-day yoga teacher training at Breathe Los Gatos on August 3 this workshop will teach how to meet a cancer survivor's needs within the context of a general yoga class. If you are a yoga teacher, you will need these skills at some point, no matter what class you teach. More and more people are living with cancer these days. If you are a survivor and you'd like your yoga teacher to get this training, please let him or her know about it. Click HERE to find out more.
  • Please share my blog with others, and invite them to sign up. This is one of the best ways I have to get news out to you all!
  • Remember, if you can't make it to class, you can always pop in my DVD, Healing Yoga for Wellness, available at www.amazon.com, Breathe Los Gatos, Pacific Healing Arts, Cancer CAREpoint resource center and Kaiser Mind-Body-Wellness center.